Tree trimming is the process of getting rid of the dead branches. It is also referred to as tree pruning. It helps the tree to have new and healthy branches. It further keeps your landscape or yard looking healthier. Click here to read more info about tree trimming.
Importance Of Trimming Your Trees
1. To Improve The General Health Of The Tree
- By removing damaged, dead, and diseased branches from your tree, you can prevent decay organisms and insects from getting into the tree. This will improve its health.
- By thinning the dense canopy of the tree, you will increase its sunlight and air circulation which will reduce the risk of disease in its branches,
- Removing water sprouts and suckers will eliminate weak woods and increase water and food supply to the rest of the tree.
- By eliminating crossing branches, you will prevent the damage caused by them rubbing each other.
- By removing narrow or weak crotches, you will reduce their risk of splitting as the tree grows and this will eliminate tearing or breaking of the wood.
- By removing co-dominant leaders which are normally two branches, you will prevent tearing and breakage of the wood that is normally caused by heavy winds.
2. Trimming Ensures Safety
Correct trimming procedures will maintain and create a strong tree. This will prevent safety hazards like branches growing too low and growth forms that are subjected to damage by storms near driveways or sidewalks. Read more http://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/facevalue-tree-trimmer-suffers-fatal-neck-injury-on-wood-chipper-feed-table
3. Trimming Ensures A Natural Tree Form
Normally vigorous or erratic branches grow and change the growing habits of the other branches. These causes misshape of the trees. Early pruning of these erratic branches will thus maintain a natural tree structure.
4. Tree Trimming Restricts Or Stimulates Growth
You may prune to restrict growth in regions where excessive growth is undesired. You may also trim the tree to stimulate growth in areas with sparse branches.
When to trim your tree:
- You should trim your tree as soon as there is a damaged, diseased, or dead branch.
- You may also trim the tree in the early spring, late winter or just before your tree starts to open its buds. Several trees like dogwood will bleed but the bleeding is not supposed to harm them.
- You can trim your tree at any time but avoid trimming in extreme winter conditions or in hot dry spells. If you trim your tree after its leaves have open, allow them to grow fully and give the tree time to regain its energy back.
The Process Of Trimming Your Tree
1. Get Started
Determine the reason for trimming. Start planning and decide the equipment you will use. Most pruning is done with loppers, pruning saw and hand pruners.
i. Hand pruners
There are two major types of hand pruners namely anvil and the bypass. Anvil pruners have one sharp blade that cuts against a flat surface blade. The pruners destroy the tissue on the underneath of the steam thus not commendable because crushing leaves the plant tissues prone to infection.
The hand pruners have one sharp blade that slides over the other leaving a nice cut. The hand pruners are recommended because of their nice cut. Both hand pruners are designed to cut stems ranging from 0.5 to 0.75-inch diameter.
There are two types of loppers namely anvil and bypass. The loppers have longer blades and larger blades. They are designed for cutting wood ranging from 0.75 to 1.5-inch diameter.
iii. Pruning saws
They are tri-edged and are replacing the bow saws. They quickly saw and easily cut wood of up to 3 diameters.
2. How To Cut
You should have the knowledge of locating branch bark and branch collar. The branch collar is a region where there is swelling which forms at the base of the branch. The branch ridge is dark, slightly raised, and rough at the place where the trunk tissue and branch meet. This region has chemicals that cause callus growth and compartmentalization which protect the wounds caused by a cut.
When removing big branches, cut three times to avoid tearing the branch collar. Lastly do not spoil your tree trimming process by adding tree paint to the wound.